Get the recipe for this Mexican Corn Salad here.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! I love a Mexican-inspired meal any day, but I thought today would be the perfect opportunity to re-share some of my favorite Mexican-style recipes from the archives. Whether you’re celebrating with a big group dinner or simply want to make tonight feel a bit more festive (hello, skinny margarita), all of these recipes should do the trick.
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 (small) container of sour cream
- 1 packet of Lipton’s Onion Soup mix (it’s a dry mix)
- cherry tomatoes
- head of lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- *add chopped jalapeños if you want some heat!
Let the cream cheese and sour cream come to room temperature. In a casserole dish, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and onion soup mix together and smooth into an even layer with a spatula to make a base for the taco dip. Slice cherry tomatoes and evenly place on top of onion dip. Add chopped shredded lettuce. Top with shredded cheese. Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve! Pair with your favorite tortilla chips! Also delish with carrots and celery for a low-carb option. Enjoy!!
- good tequila (I love Casamigos Reposado)
- flavored soda (we use grapefruit or lime LaCroix)
- fresh juice from 1 lime
- fresh juice from 1 lemon
- fresh juice from 1 orange
- Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning, or we also love Casamigos Salt Rimmer if you want to get extra festive!
- optional sliced jalapeño if you like a little extra spice
Pour some TJ’s chili lime seasoning or salt rimmer onto a plate. Grab your favorite cocktail glass (love these ones, too!), take a lime wedge and wet the rim and then coat the rim in the seasoning/salt! Add ice to your glass and fill with 1-2 oz of tequila. Fill your glass 3/4 of the way with soda water. Use equal parts lime juice and lemon juice* followed by a splash of fresh orange juice. *the more citrus you use the better! Enjoy!
It feels silly even giving you this recipe because it is so easy but trust me, it’s delish! I don’t have exact measurements of each item, just taste as you go and see what you’re missing. You can even add some sliced jalapeño for a little spice!
- rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 pre-made enchilada sauce packs (we love Frontera Grill sauces)
- corn tortillas – or whatever you prefer!*
- mexican cheese
- toppings of your choice – salsa, cilantro, sour cream, jalapeño
Preheat your oven to 375. In a casserole dish, pour 1/2 of 1 enchilada sauce packet to coat the bottom. Combine the remaining sauce from the packet with shredded chicken to coat evenly. Evenly fill your tortillas, roll them up and place side by side in casserole dish. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Top with a good amount of cheese and whatever else you’d prefer! We like adding jalapeño (unless the kids are enjoying too). Bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
*Dave isn’t a huge fan of corn tortillas and I don’t love the calories in flour tortillas so I usually try to find something to meet in the middle. You could also use dairy-free cheese or substitute the chicken for black beans and peppers to make this a vegetarian dish! The options are endless!
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded + chhopped
- 2 hearts of palm, chopped
- cilantro, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- * taste and season more if needed!
Combine all ingredients in a bowl! Season and taste, add more seasoning as needed. You could also add cherry tomatoes! So many possible variations.
- Large tortillas (I used low-carb whole wheat wraps)
- Rotisserie chicken (I use about half a chicken to make 4 quesadillas)
- Buffalo sauce (I eyeball this, probably 1/3 cup)
- Plain greek yogurt (about 1 cup total)
- Feta cheese crumbles
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning (you won’t use the whole packet)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Start by shredding your rotisserie chicken. Add the buffalo sauce + 1/4 cup greek yogurt. Stir to combine and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt with 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles and 1-2 tsp ranch seasoning. Stir to combine and set aside. Chop your cilantro (you could also use chopped romaine).
To assemble, lay out your tortilla and cut in from the bottom to the center of the tortilla. Add your ingredients in 1/4 increments on the tortilla (see my video on IG here for full directions!) starting with your buffalo chicken, then cilantro, yogurt feta cheese spread + shredded cheddar cheese. Fold into itself so it all stacks together.
Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Crisp up your quesadilla by topping with a pan top to ensure it stays flat to the pan. Flip after 3 or so minutes and do the same on the other side. Remove from heat and serve with more of the yogurt feta dip + chopped cilantro. Enjoy!