One of my most frequently asked questions is about my skincare routine which is so flattering because I happen to take my skin very seriously! As I’ve gotten older (and even more recently since becoming a mom) I’m starting to notice my skin aging a bit. I’m also aware of what the future holds for my skin. My mom and grandmother have beautiful, soft skin but it can also lack elasticity and I think wrinkles may be in my future. I have to say, there is something so amazing about age in the respect. You realize how amazing natural beauty really is and the importance of taking care of your skin and feeding it the best things you can, now.
Let me start by saying that I kind of have a low key routine when it comes to beauty (have you seen my spring makeup tutorial? ha!). I know that some brands will tell you that completing the 8-10 steps that they recommend is worth it but at some point I have to believe that those products don’t even get to touch your skin. That’s why I like to focus on 5 really amazing products that will get the job done if you use them regularly. I’m not talking about 2-4 times per week. I’m talking morning and night.
I like to experiment with skincare products but over the past two years I’ve really narrowed down what I like and I don’t like. Some I use both morning and night, some I just use at night and there are a few special products (that I’ll link below) that I like to use once a week for an extra boost. Generally, I think 5 products will get the job done: a cleanser, an exfoliator, a serum, a moisturizer and an eye cream. If you’re feeling overwhelmed about stocking your beauty cabinet with tons of products – I really think you can spend money on 5 and see results. (note*: I am not an esthetician, I am sure there will be people who disagree with me but for someone who has pretty normal/combination skin I think these 5 products do the trick). Let’s get started…
- A cleanser. For someone who only used to wash her face with a bar of soap in the shower (I know)…I am a HUGE FAN of a good cleanser. The bar of soap method worked but I didn’t realize how much it was drying out my skin. To the point where I would start to see these little dots and dry patches on my face. I switched to a cream cleanser about a year ago and I am completely addicted. This is an example of a product that is only one step but adds so much to your skin. My absolute favorite is the Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm. Not only does is clean your skin (and removes makeup!), but it is intensely moisturizing and smells amazing. Sometimes when I’m traveling, this alone is my nighttime routine. It can also be used as a face mask if you leave it on for 10 minutes and remove with a hot towel. Read what Nordstrom has to say about it because it will convince you that this stuff is magic! (*this is not sponsored by the way). If you’re looking for a drug store options: Pond’s Cold Cream Cleanser all the way.
- An exfoliator. This is a step you definitely don’t have to do every day! I usually do but only when I use a more mild version like my favorite wipes of all time (this is what I use!). Otherwise, I’ll do this step every other night. However, I think this is really important in ensuring that the products you are using next are going to work to the best of their ability. Think of exfoliating like creating a clean slate on your face. It removes any lingering dead skin cells, clears out your pores, evens out your skin’s texture and leaves your face completely clean, even and ready for some love. My favorite exfoliating scrubs include Clinique 7 Day Scrub and Kate Somerville Intensive Treatment.
- A serum. This is the step I switch up the most! Depending on what my skin really needs. I would say 3 times a week I will use a Vitamin C serum (think good juice for the skin) and then I mix it up between M-61 Jet Glow for when I need a little brightening and I love M-61 Hydraboost and Glossier Super Bounce when I need some extra moisture. I think using a serum is the best opportunity to give your skin the good stuff! I like to apply it to freshly cleaned skin and seal it in with moisturizer.
- A face moisturizer. I rotate between this for day and this at night. They are incredibly moisturizing, they dry quickly and my skin always feels firmer after using them. I think a combination of a thick moisturizer that dries quickly is the way to go. I also love Olay’s Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream.
- An eye cream. To be honest, I can’t really tell the difference between certain eye creams. Their purpose is to keep this delicate area nice and moisturized so in the long run I think it will be worth it. I’ve been using this! If you can’t tell, I’m really into Elemis’ entire collagen line. I think my genes have shown me that elasticity isn’t a strong quality in my skin so I’m trying to give it as much protein as I can before it’s too late.
Just for reference, I typically use these 5 steps at night and in the morning I’ll stick to a cleanser, serum and moisturizer before applying my makeup.
As a blogger, we receive a ton of press kits with new beauty products to try. As much as I wish I could test everything I can’t always get to it! Living in a city apartment has made me realize all of the goodies that sit on my shelves and I’d love to give one lucky reader the opportunity to try these products for themselves! It is a big box of beauty – including my favorite Elemis Cleansing Balm, Bobbi Brown lip colors, shampoo and conditioner, my favorite sunscreen for your face/lips, texturizing spray for your hair, eyeshadows and so much more! I’m going to be posting the giveaway on my instagram account later today so be sure to follow here: @lizadams. I’ll also be doing a preview of the giveaway in my insta stories, too.
Feel free to leave any questions you may have in the comments! xx